Friday, June 26, 2009

Albania

Sparsely habitated and barely visited, Albania has welcoming people and charming areas. The majority of the population population is Muslim, though few continue to practice after Communism and Westernization have swept through, putting it in a place similar to Turkey. Albania is also the only place outside of hostels or embassies I've seen an American flag flying abroad. When I asked a Peace Corps worker randomly staying at my hostel in Tirana, he said progressive politicians and progressive-minded people fly US and EU flag as a way to show what they are aspiring to for their country. Though EU membership is quite a ways off, they are now a member of NATO. One thing I just could not get used to was the head nod. To indicated "OK" or "yes", they will give a spastic twitch of the head towards their shoulder. For the first day or so, I had a few frustrating encounters because I didn't realize this custom. Quite funny to me now. Decrepit buildings are a common sight, but through some trick I can't seem to figure out, charm and uniqueness come from these run-down places rather than despite them. Check out these pictures of buildings, one of which I'll use as a model for my future practice as a dentist:
Beer of Albania: Tirana is the most prevalent beer in Albania, though it has quite a few others, which I didn't have the time to try, unfortunately. Tirana isn't bad, though it isn't special either. Grade: C-.
Places Missed: Kruja, Butrint, Durres, Berat.

No comments:

Post a Comment